Double Chocolate Doughnuts
Adapting the Chocolate Cupcakes recipe from Ottolenghi, I made these doughnuts as a experiment. The result was completely satisfactory adding a teaspoon of vanilla paste the chocolate get a intense flavor.
Makes 6 doughnuts
70g all-purpose flour
15g unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg at room temperature
60ml greek yogurt
50ml sunflower oil
65g light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1/3 cup dark chocolate, cut into small pieces
70ml heavy cream
20g salted butter, cut into pieces.
85g dark chocolate, chopped.
7ml Irish cream (Baileys) optional
Handful coarsely chopped pistachio for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a doughnuts pan.
2. In a medium bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then whisk all the ingredients until combined, set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, greek yogurt, vegetable oil, light brown sugar and vanilla paste, until combined. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, add the flour mixture and mix until incorporated. Finally fold the chocolate chips.
4. Divide batter among greased doughnuts pan filling each about 3/4 full. Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into doughnut comes out with a few crumbs.
5. Remove doughnuts from the oven and allow to cool 5 minutes, then run a butter knife around edges to loosen and invert onto wire rack and let to cool completely.
Meanwhile the doughnuts are in the oven, start by making the glaze.
1. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl, set aside. Put the heavy cream into a small saucepan and place it over the heat almost boiling point. Immediately remove from the heat and pour into chocolate. Use a tablespoon and stir until the chocolate is melted. Add the butter and Irish cream and beat until smooth.
2. Cover the top of the chocolate bowl with plastic wrap. Leave at room temperature until the doughnuts are cooled and the glaze has started to set.
3. Spread the chocolate glaze atop the cooled doughnuts with a tablespoon. Top with chopped pistachios and let glaze to set at room temperature.